We Teach Science has put together a handbook for our mentors with basic information on mentoring best
practices and details about the RTM program. Read the handbook here.
Mentors often ask us, ‘what should I do during my session?’ In response, we created a lesson plan database where mentors can add content as they develop it, and also find examples from other mentors. We’d like all mentors to contribute to the database as often as possible. Visit our lesson plan database.
To add your own lesson plan to the database, log on as a mentor and click “add new.”
- Khan Academy: over 800 ten minute videos covering K-12 math and science
- Middle school California Common Core math worksheets with answers at http://www.commoncoresheets.com/
- illuminations.nctm.org provides middle & hight school math lesson plans and interactive activities
- Kill Math uses online tools to help people understand abstract concepts
- Transition to Algebra Institute: math resources for teachers
- Online quadratic graphing tool.
- A good site with lots of algebra ideas and explanations purple math
- A good site with specific Algebra tools-could be a great thing to share with students mathscribe
- SOS Math is a great place to review concepts.
- Great lesson ideas from NASA
- Explanation of the diamond and generic rectangle factoring method
- CPM Textbook Overview
- Free Math Games- Sumdogs
- Ms. Kristin Hoppe website (BUSD Math teacher)
- GeoGebra is an interactive geometry, algebra, and calculus application, intended for teachers and students
- NLVM Algebra Manipulatives
- Gooru is a collection of collection of educational resources
- Common Core Ed Source Products, assessments and content aligned to the Common Core State Standard
- Curriki is a collection of curriclum resources
Checklist for Success – this handy guide will help you get the most out of your mentoring session.
Copying and pasting into GroupWorld: (from mentors)
On windows, look for “snipping tool”. It allows you to just cut anything on the screen. Then just control-v onto the whiteboard.
If you are copying with control-c (like text itself) and then control-v, it will be differing in size.
If you use the snipping tool it will capture everything as an image and hence paste consistently.
NOTE: You will have to delete the answers since you have the teacher’s edition with the answers.